Filemon Vela

Representing the 34 District of Texas

Recovering from Severe Weather in South Texas

In June, South Texas suffered severe weather including heavy rains.  The resulting flooding caused damage to homes and businesses, and the federal government through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (or FEMA) is bringing resources to the Rio Grande Valley to help repair and rebuild, which you will find below:


Do you have insurance? If you have a homeowner’s or flood insurance policy, contact your insurance company and file a claim first.

If your home IS safe, sanitary, and secure: You can check to see if you are eligible for disaster assistance from other Federal, state, and voluntary organizations by visiting This tool can help you identify available resources in your community.

If your home is NOT safe, sanitary, or secure: Visit,or call 1-800-621-3362 to assess your needs and to find out what federal assistance may be available to you. If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585. If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

Disaster Centers will open this week in Hidalgo and Cameron counties: All DRCs will be open 7:00am – 7:00pm, 7 days a week. DRC addresses are listed below:

 -275 South Kansas Avenue, Weslaco, Texas 78596 (Hidalgo County)

-City of Mission Social Event Center, 115 South Mayberry Road, Mission, Texas 78572 (Hidalgo County)

-City of La Feria FEMA Safety Room, 1001 Pancho Maples Drive La Feria, TX. 78559 (Cameron County)

-McAllen Chamber of Commerce: Old Church Winery, 700 North Main Street,  McAllen, Texas 78504 (Hidalgo County)

U.S. Small Business Administration

  • SBA representatives are available at Business Recovery Center to Help Businesses Impacted by Severe Storms and Flooding. 
  • Location:  Hidalgo County Business Recovery Center Valley Metro Regional Transit Center, 510 S. Pleasantview Drive, Weslaco, TX 78596
  • Operational hours:  Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

SBA representatives are also available to provide face-to-face assistance at each of the Disaster Recovery Centers.


Disaster Survivors Can Get Rebuilding Tips from Local Home Improvement Stores:

Lowe's and Home Depot stores are offering free hazard mitigation consultations from FEMA migration representatives in Hidalgo and Cameron counties.


Mitigation advisors will be on-hand to answer questions about rebuilding and protecting homes from future disaster-related damage. Topics include flood insurance and elevating of utilities. Most of the information provided is geared toward do-it-yourself work and general contractors. 


FEMA Mitigation Specialists will be available at these stores:


Additional Information:

Texas disaster mitigation information:  

Additional information on mitigation:

Protecting properties from disaster information: property.