Congressman Vela's Coronavirus Update:
As we learn of more cases of coronavirus in patients both in the United States and abroad, I want to make sure to provide you with useful information to help keep you and your family safe and healthy.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call my office at (956) 544-8352.
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. There are simple everyday actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, maintain at least 6 feet distance from those you do not live with.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wear a face mask when social distancing is not possible.
Experts have been working hard to understand this new strain of coronavirus. Because new information is coming out every day, please visit the sites below to stay up to date.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides updates on the virus and safety information for the public and healthcare professionals.
- The Texas Department of Health provides updates on the disease's spread within the state, as well as answers to frequently asked questions.
- The State Department provides a list of travel advisories for those who are planning to fly outside of the United States.